Everyone at Manchester City FC is saddened to learn of the passing of Gerry Gow at the age of 64 following his brave battle with illness.

A cult hero in his short spell at Maine Road in the eighties, Gow made 36 appearances for the Blues between 1981 and 1982, including both games of the famous FA Cup final against Spurs.

Signed by John Bond following a difficult start to the 1980/81 season, the tough-tackling midfielder made an immediate impact, helping City to a run of just two defeats in 11 games between November and the New Year.

City would finish safely in mid-table despite winning none of their first 12 games before Gerry arrived but the campaign would be best remembered for progress in the cup competitions.

Following a controversial defeat to Liverpool in the semi-final of the League Cup, the Blues went one better in the FA Cup, reaching the 100th final, thanks in no small part to two goals from Gow on the road to Wembley.

Although City lost out to Spurs following a replay, it was undoubtedly one of the great FA Cup finals and was a highlight in the Scot’s career.

                        FA CUP FINAL: Gow in action at Wembley
FA CUP FINAL: Gow in action at Wembley

Speaking to the Manchester Evening News in 2012, Gow said: “To play in the centre of midfield at one of the leading clubs in English football was such an honour.

“I immediately felt at home with both the lads in the team and especially the fans.

“To have played in the 100th FA Cup final was a dream come true, albeit we did not come home to Manchester with the trophy, which remains a regret.

“I will never forget the time I spent there and will always feel part of the cub. I am, of course, delighted with the recent success of winning the league and long may the success continue.”

Gow is remembered as a Bristol City legend, making nearly 400 appearances for The Robins between 1969 and 1981.

Following his brief spell in Manchester, he joined Rotherham in the middle of the 1981/82 season before retiring at Yeovil in 1984 where he was player-manager for three years.

Our thoughts are with Gerry’s friends and family at this sad time.